Matt Murphy Law APC. 2019-
ABC News 2019-
Orange County District Attorney’s Office
Deputy District Attorney, 1993-2019
- Homicide Unit, 2002-2019
- Responsible for the vertical prosecution of all homicides from the cities of Costa Mesa, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, and Irvine. Completed 45 murder trials. Including 6 capital cases.
- Reviewed officer involved shootings and custodial deaths.
- Special Circumstances Committee Member: Made sentencing recommendations to the District Attorney in special circumstance murder cases.
- Faculty OCDA Training Academy: Trained junior prosecutors in trial tactics. Specialized in Cross Examination and Closing Argument
- Attended parole hearings of prisoners serving life sentences from Orange County
- Sexual Assault Unit, 1998-2002
- Vertically prosecuted sexual assault cases from the cities of Huntington Beach, Westminster, Garden Grove, and Fountain Valley.
- Completed 17 jury trials involving allegations of rape and the sexual abuse of children.
- Felony Panel, 1997-1998
- Prosecuted general felony cases. Completed 24 felony jury trials.
- Juvenile Gang Unit, 1996-1997
- Prosecuted serious felony gang cases in Juvenile Court. Completed 14 bench trials.
- Municipal Court, 1994-1996
- Prosecuted general misdemeanor cases. Completed 37 misdemeanor jury trials.
- Juvenile Unit, 1994
- Prosecuted general juvenile cases. Completed 47 bench trials
- Writs and Appeals Unit, 1993
- Drafted and argued various responses to defense motions
Certified Law Clerk, 1992-1993
- Writs and Appeals Unit. Drafted and argued motions in various felony cases.
Western State College of Law
Adjunct Professor, 2010-2017
- Presented two lectures per semester on the law of homicide liability and criminal prosecution.